[time-nuts] Brooks Shera

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Mar 25 18:31:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:23:21 -0700
Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > The algorithms are well known and understood, and not very complex. Perhaps
> > starting from scratch wouldn't be a bad thing if you're going to an entirely
> > new platform.
>
> They are well known to people who already know.  If you are new to the
> field it is good to have easy examples to study.

Well.. there are many good textbooks on control theory. A lot of them
with very little math and lots of explenations so that even people without
a PhD in math can understand them. For this particular application i would
recomened to have a look at "Phase Locked Loops" by Roland Best. It covers
how control loops are designed with the explicit application of PLLs
and thus leaving a lot of math and theory out that would be needed
for general control loops but is superficial for PLLs or merged into
other sub-blocks.

Beside this, my experience is that most control loops can live with
a couple of simplifications. Ie you will get a loop that works in
90% of all cases like the "ideal" loop, but you will have worse
performance (or oscillations) at the corner cases. This is especially
the case when you know that you hardly get any steps or hits in your
loop.

				Attila Kinali

--
The people on 4chan are like brilliant psychologists
who also happen to be insane and gross.