[time-nuts] Metastability (was Brooks Shera)

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Mar 25 22:16:58 UTC 2013

Hi

The reason you don't see MTBF's is that they are indeed hard to find. Even the formulas that come up with them are not particularly easy to deal with. What they very much want you to do is to spend big bucks on the analysis program and the data to drive it.

To put some numbers on it:

At 353.8 ps offset and a 24 MHz clock you have a MTBF of 12,345 events for a single FF. For a two FF sync (effectively 3 in series) you have 12,345^3 = 1.88e^12. You go from "gee pretty often" to "never that I'll ever see". Yes I made up the 12,345. The transition from "oops" to "never" is why you rarely see the numbers. Unless the data rates are very high, the reliability very stringent, or the logic really awful, you just fix it and move on.

Bob