[time-nuts] Win XP and NIST time

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Wed Mar 27 01:08:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 07:39:51PM +0100, Alberto di Bene wrote:
> On 3/26/2013 7:21 PM, Dan Kemppainen wrote:
>
> >Keep in mind, we are after all, taking about windows. An operating
> >system that IS NOT real time operating system. (You think it is, try
> >move a continuous stream of a few 6+ MBytes/Sec data to it!)
>
> Well, the Perseus SDR, when set to its maximum sampling rate after the DDC,
> sends
> the I and Q continuous streams (24 bit/sample each), to the PC at a rate of
> 2 MHz. This
> means 12 MBytes/sec via a high speed USB2 port. Using one the many
> available SDR
> programs, those 12 MBytes/sec are received, FIR and FFT are applied,
> demodulation
> algorithms are used, and there are no glitches in the final audio...  if
> even a single sample
> would be lost, you would ear immediately the artifact....
>
> Windows is not as bad as somebody would depict it... :-)

	I have been using Windows for digital video analysis and
capture for years... often capture multiple 70-80 mb/s transport streams
by the hour from USB and PCI sources and output similar for testing.

	It works.

	Does take buffering and tuning in the code, and some in the
hardware.

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in