[time-nuts] WWVB d-psk-r update. Seems a reasonable solution

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 30 14:23:48 UTC 2013

On 3/29/13 9:01 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Too much tuning range is easy enough to fix. Use a pot to set it on frequency and then hook it to the rest of the "stuff" with a fixed resistor. The gotcha would be if the poor thing drifts so much that it *needs* the wide range to stay in lock.
>
> My guess is that you could buy a hundred VCXO's at auction for less than the cost of trying a dozen samples.

wide tuning range VCOs have lower Q resonators, so the "outside the loop
BW" noise will tend to be worse.

The other problem I have found is that wide tuning range VCOs tend to
drift more (that is, with a constant input voltage, their frequency
changes more as they warm up or otherwise change temperature).

It's a matter of sitting with the online order site open in one window,
and the Vectron or whoever website open to their catalog in another and
going back and forth comparing part #s..