[time-nuts] Photodiodes for high frequency OPLL

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Sat Mar 30 18:00:08 UTC 2013

You'll need a photodiode that can detect photons at your lasers'
wavelength.  You may be able to use a photodiode at a shorter than its
design wavelength as long as there are not coatings (eg anti-reflection)
that block the wavelength of interest.  You'll need to make sure that
both lasers illuminate the same photodiode area, or you won't get a
signal at the difference frequency.  The difference frequency power
level is generally pretty low, so operating above the photodiode
bandwidth is difficult.  My work was at HP and Agilent, who manufactured
the photodiodes we used.

The photodiode frequency response is primarily limited by the depletion
region's capacitance.  The circuit model is simply a current source
shunted by a capacitor (perhaps with bond wire inductance to the RF
connector) so the RF output current falls with increasing signal
frequency.  I don't see much possibility of improvement thru
matching--though using an amplifier with very low input impedance might
help.

Dave

--
Clear Stream Technologies