[time-nuts] Releasing sources (was Re: Brooks Shera)

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 01:28:27 UTC 2013

If you write something and want to publish it.  Put it one "Source
Forge" and then you get Subversion system to host the code, an email
list people can join and a forum that is linked to it and bug tracking
and so on and so on.   You can keep up with the forum that is tied to
your code or not.  Users can join it if they like or not.   The tools
are all there for free.  The bug tracker is us full and everything
lives on THEIR server for free.

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> k7tfc at arrl.net said:
>> Some I know use a dedicated email address when they post things intended as
>> open source. They then set up an auto-respond message such as:
>
> Auto-responders are evil.  The problem is that spammer's forge the return
> address.  The response to any spam that gets past your filters will go "back"
> to an innocent victim.  To the victim, it looks like spam.  Don't be
> surprised if you get added to black lists.
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_%28e-mail%29
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_message#Bouncing_vs._rejecting
>
> It's much better to put that message out where people are finding the email
> address.
>
> If you didn't plan ahead that far, most mail systems will let you reject mail
> with some error text you provide which could include a URL.  That does
> require cooperation from the people running the mail server so it probably
> won't work if you use gmail, hotmail, comcast or similar services.  It's easy
> if you or a friend run the mail server.
>

> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

Chris Albertson