[time-nuts] hp5065b !!!

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun May 5 07:53:31 UTC 2013

On Sat, 04 May 2013 22:00:36 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca said:
> > Hi, while skimming some articles I found re GPS satellites, I found some
> > references to certain buffer gasses in Rb cells working much better with
> > optical filters than others.   As far as I know Rb buffer gas formulations
> > are not disclosed by the manufacturers so I suspect this info may not be
> > very actionable for those of us looking to improve our Rb's.
>
> How hard would it be to measure the content of the buffer gas?
>
> I've watched while somebody else did X-ray crystallography.  Is there
> something of similar complexity that would work with the gas in it's handy
> container or would you have to break one?

Non-destructive would be quite hard. The buffer gas is usally N and/or one
or two of the noble gases[1]. So X-ray crystalography doesn't work.
NMR and IR spectroscopy would get you the types of gases. But one
of the important factors is the exact ratio of the mixture. Different
gasses give different temperature and pressure shift coefficients.
And mixture ratios are used to cancel these out.

			Attila Kinali

[1] I know i have some papers which anylse different buffer gasses, but
i cannot find them. I also have never seen anyone mention non-elementary
gasses like CO2.

--
The people on 4chan are like brilliant psychologists
who also happen to be insane and gross.