[time-nuts] OXCO Issues

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat May 11 14:14:08 UTC 2013

Fred,

I've been thinking about your OCXO issue of the oven cycling.  I had a very
nice theory about what to look for and where to look.

However, if you have an issue with the external 12 VDC supply to the OCXO
assembly, that, clearly, needs to be resolved first.  Also, you could remove
the supply from the test equipment and attach a known stable bench supply
directly to the OCXO then look at current draw (cycling) and output
frequency stability.

If your OCXO is anything like the two that I have opened, the foam is easy
to pull out.  There is usually a piece of 'packing' (fiber) tape folded over
to allow you to pull the foam enclosed oscillator and oven assembly out of
the case.  I would like to see some pictures if you have any.

Can you share the model number, whether you are adjusting a cap or pot,
whether the adjustment is internal to the OCXO or external, whether it has a
'screw' cover to the adjustment(s), and whether it has one or two ('Coarse'
and 'Fine') adjustments?

All the problems I have had have been on the oscillator board or the output
board that is just inside the bottom cover of the OCXO.

I am not sure about how best to 'reseal' the unit when finished.  My most
recent one had not externally accessible adjustments, just an external pot
adjusting a 4 VDC source to the EFC control.  When resealing it, I turned it
on, let it heat up for an hour or so, then quickly disconnected it, applied
the 'Quik-Set' epoxy, then quickly reapplied power to let it heat up again.
This gave a small bubble or two out through the epoxy demonstrating an 'air
tight' assembly.  It dried with power applied.  When it cools, I'm sure
there is a 'vacuum' inside.  However, at operating temps, it should be at
'atmospheric' pressure.  I am about 20 feet above sea level.  I don't know
if 'sea level' internal pressure at operating temperature is critically
important or not but it seemed easy enough to achieve.

Good luck.

Joe