[time-nuts] A Time-Nut's Worst Nightmare

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Sat May 11 16:48:40 UTC 2013

It appears that this was exactly the wrong group in which to
discuss Lord Vetinari's clock. People keep asking why. Here's
a brief answer, but first some background.

Lord Vetinari, aka The Patrician, is a fictional character in
a series of books by Terry Pratchett (q.v.) that stretch the
imagination with fantastic characters who highlight the foibles
of human behavior. There are very few fantasies that I enjoy,
but I've read every one of his books, learning something new
from each.

Imagine that you are the undisputed ruler of a large city.
Remaining in that position is a tricky balancing act against the
many that think they could do a better job. Vetinari keeps people
off balance in various ways, such as knowing what they are going
to say before they say it and making them wait in a room that has
a clock whose second hand appears to move in random increments.
So, Sara White defined its purpose quite well.

No two people are alike. I intend to buy the kit. I'm not one of
those people who like to play tricks on their friends (if indeed
they have any friends). A recent encounter with cancer has
convinced me that my time is limited, so I rather like the idea
of an element of randomness in the wall clock, masking the
inexorable passage of real time.

Bill Hawkins