[time-nuts] OXCO Issues

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat May 11 20:59:23 UTC 2013

It seems to me that the only way to achieve the 'extreme' of temperature
stability is to supply heat at the same rate that it is leaving.  This would
result in the heater always being on but the temperature never varying.  I
suspect that there is some sort of variable current control to the 'heater'
(which is coils of wire on the two units I have opened) but I doubt it is
continuously variable.  Rather an 'on/off' approach at its most 'sensitive'
setting with the setting being 'Hi' when first turned on and 'Lo' once at
operating temperature so that the current is max when first turned on then
some lower value once at operating temperature .  The sensor will have some
sort of 'hysteresis', turning the heating circuit off as the temperature
rises through a certain point (which I suspect might be adjustable) then
turning the heating circuit on as the temperature falls below some point
below the 'off' temperature.  In a typical home thermostat, it is 2 or 3
degrees difference.  In these systems, it has to be significantly less than
that.

However, if your OCXO continues to 'cycle', resulting a fluctuating
frequency, and if you had a continuously variable heating system (as I think
exists in the 10811 but I don't know about the Ovenaire systems) either the
heating control is 'fixed' at 'Hi' or the sensor/control circuit has a
significant 'on/off' issue (large hysteresis value).  It could be that the
heating circuit is either fixed at 'Hi' or the controller can't 'fine tune'.

I have never done any 'reverse engineering' on the oven control circuit of
the Ovenaire's that I have opened but I would be interested in seeing what
that circuit looks like.

Good luck.

Joe