[time-nuts] Can I get 1 millisecond accuracy with a USB GPS-18

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon May 13 14:43:00 UTC 2013

rummaged through archives and couldn't find anything..

I've got some GPS-18's with the RS232 and 1pps output.  BUT, I'm
wondering if anyone has tried to get timing with the USB version (Linux
or Windows..), and if so, is getting 1 millisecond absolute accuracy
feasible.

The underlying USB thing has 8kHz frame rate, but I suspect that the
serial port emulation (which is probably what they use) might not hold
it that well.  I can see there being some sort of fixed offset (going
through hubs and such), but once the configuration is known, is that stable?

Any practical advice?