[time-nuts] NTP, PPS and < 10 us offsets

Miguel Barbosa Gonçalves m at mbg.pt
Wed May 15 19:43:27 UTC 2013

Hi!

Thank you for your input.

Yes, I've set minpoll and maxpoll to 4 yet the system corrects the offset
slowly during the calibration interval that starts I believe at 8 seconds
(2^3) and stops at 256 seconds (2^8) even though I've set min and maxpoll.

Even considering this situation I am going crazy with the Trimble Acutime
Gold I installed on my roof.

I connected the port A to a RS422-to-RS232 converter. The PPS+ signal is
directly connected to the DCD pin of this RS232 port. The port B is also
connected to a RS422-to-RS232 converter and I occasionally connect a
Windows computer to check the status of the antenna.

I've reconfigured the antenna to output only NMEA sentences (and I also use
the PPS) and NTP works fine but suddenly without any explanation the NTP
process stops receiving information from the receiver. I really don't
understand what's happening here as the receiver is on the roof and sees
plenty of satellites:

56427 70907.634 127.127.20.0
$GPGGA,194147.0,4055.227,N,00829.618,W,1,07,1.14,00264,M,051,M,,*48
56427 70923.635 127.127.20.0
$GPGGA,194203.0,4055.227,N,00829.617,W,1,07,1.14,00262,M,051,M,,*42
56427 70939.634 127.127.20.0
$GPGGA,194219.0,4055.226,N,00829.616,W,1,06,1.47,00258,M,051,M,,*47
56427 70955.635 127.127.20.0
$GPGGA,194235.0,4055.226,N,00829.615,W,1,07,1.14,00251,M,051,M,,*44
56427 70971.634 127.127.20.0
$GPGGA,194251.0,4055.227,N,00829.616,W,1,07,1.13,00255,M,051,M,,*47

Can anyone help me please?

Cheers,
Miguel