[time-nuts] Time source for indoor standalone PC

Keenan Tims keenan.tims at gmail.com
Fri May 17 08:39:49 UTC 2013

If a phone line is available and you can stomach the small cost of a
long distance phone call now and then, it seems like ACTS would be the
simplest route. Several countries still maintain ACTS services;
Australia's NMI lists a number that they say is not functional, but it
does pick up with a modem tone (I dialed it), so they might've just
forgotten to update the web page. All you'd need to do is find an old
serial modem and connect it to whatever computer is handy (or a
Raspberry Pi etc.) and configure NTP. Even across a transoceanic phone
circuit I think you'll synchronize well better than 1s, and if you
precalibrate your server's nominal drift a call every few days should be
enough to keep you within a couple of seconds.

Keenan