[time-nuts] Time source for indoor standalone PC

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat May 18 16:13:43 UTC 2013

I woud assume that if "security" is the reason he can't have an internet
connection or even run an antenna cable for GPS then a WiFi connection to
anything outside of the area is totally disallowed by the rules he was to
work under.

I'm worked in these places too.  We did not allow anything that could
conceivably carry information to be connected and that included the AC
mains wiring with had to be heavly filtered, cartainly no WiFi enabled
equipment, cell phones or whatever was allowed.

But we've not yet heard back from Grant about what he really is alowed to
do or what his budget it.   Certainly if the accuracy is only "a few
seconds" I don't see why a wristwatch is not good enough.

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 1:31 AM, David J Taylor <
david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> []
> I've not had much need for time synchronisation over the years, but in
> recent years NTP has been able to get me by. Unfortunately I'm now faced
> with a network that needs a moderately correct clock (I'm scared of using
> the word 'acurate' around you folks!) to the order of a few seconds or so,
> but with no possibility of an external internet connection (for a number of
> reasons).
> []
> Regards,
> Grant

> Grant,
>
> If you can get within Wi-Fi range of a well-synced (e.g. local PPS-synced)
> NTP server, you may get within a millisecond.  For example, here's a
> Windows-8 PC connected via its built-in Wi-Fi (not a USB stick):
>
>  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/**bergen_ntp_2.html<http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/bergen_ntp_2.html>
>
> The local server could be as simple as a Raspberry Pi card or other Linux
> or Windows PC.
>
> Cheers,
> David
> --
> SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
> Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
> Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California