[time-nuts] Distribution amps for Thub=nderbolt and David partridges divider box?

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Sun May 19 13:22:43 UTC 2013

> From: Chris Wilson <chris at chriswilson.tv>
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Distribution amps for Thub=nderbolt and David
> partridges divider box?
>

>>>  09/05/2013 11:58
>>>
>>> If I get a Extron ADA 3-80 distribution amp, will it be able to run
>>> on both the 10MHz T/Bolt output, AND on the outputs of one of David
>>> Partridge's nice divider boxes I have. It It divides from the 10 MHz
>>> input. There are separate outputs for 10 MHz, 5 MHz, 1 MHz, and one
>>> that can be configured for 100 kHz / 10 kHz / 1 kHz / 100 Hz / 10
>>> Hz / 1 Hz.
>>>
>>> If not, is there anything available?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>>       Best Regards,
>>>                   Chris Wilson.
>>> mailto: chris at chriswilson.tv
>>>

>> Chris, if I understand your question correctly, the answer is "Yes".
>> The ADA-3-80 has four separate channels (R, G, B, Sync), and
>> multiple outputs for each channel.  So, you can input up to four
>> separate frequencies and get up to four outputs for each channel.
>> Quite a versatile little box.
>
>> Cheers,
>> Dave M
>

> 18/05/2013 23:01
>
> I have been offered one of these:
>
> http://www.extron.co.uk/product/product.aspx?id=ada6300mxhv
>
> Specifically the model :
>
> ADA 6 300MX HV HDTV RGBHV 1 x 6 Analog Video Distribution Amplifier
>
> I *THINK* it should meet my needs except the HV bit worries me. It
> seems this means it has not got unity gain, but a gain of 0.7 or 1
> volt, switch selectable. Could anyone comment if it's suitable to use
> my Trimble Thunderbolt with several pieces of test gear at the same
> time? Thanks. Here in the UK the ADA-3-80 seems a rare find.
>
> --
>       Best Regards,
>                   Chris Wilson.

Hi again, Chris;
The HV at the end of the model number indicates that the unit is capable of
handling high voltage (up to 5V - TTL level) on the sync channel.  The
0.7/1.0 Volt switch is to provide a bit of extra gain for long cable runs.
Aside from the HV difference, the unit appears to be very close to the ADA
3-80 in capabilities.  It looks quite well suited for a DA. It has more
channels than the ADA 3-80; a big plus.  The HV option is not a detriment...
the sync channel can be used for TTL level signals., whereas the normal
channels are for low-level signals (0.3 - 1.5 VPP).
 Just curious, how much is this unit being offered to you for?

Cheers,
Dave M