[time-nuts] Ground loops in measurements?

Volker Esper ailer2 at t-online.de
Mon May 20 14:15:00 UTC 2013

Moin Attila,

yes ground loops can cause serious measurement problems. And solving
those could fill a hole book. Here's what I do in practical:
1.) avoid the loop
2.) if you can't, try harder to avoid it
- depending on the problem: break up the dc loop by using capacitors
(most often you only need to kill 50/60 Hz so you can possibly insert a
C in the shield)
- if you need dc current or extremly low frequencies flowing in the
shield, use inductors in the shield to get rid of 50/60 Hz
- if you have to transfer low frequency rectangular pulses, you have to
decide or even to try, what will be the better choice
- but that induces new problems if you have to be synchronous to within
some ns...
- on the lab bench - if you can't avoid loops - make the area of the
loop as small as you can to reduce the inducing field -> keep shields
together
- use a well grounded!! metal plate (use iron, if you can) under your
experiment and lay the coax cables flat down on it
- as far as you can connect all case grounds at one point only
- if you are experimenting with low frequency on your bench you can try
to not connect the shield on one side of the cable - be aware, that the
current now takes another way, so that is practicable in only few
situations (and if you fumble around it will change measurement conditions)
- use floating power supplies - but remember, they can be coupled to
earth or the power line over the stray capacitance of the transformer
(rather a problem for higher frequencies than 50/60 Hz)

Volker