[time-nuts] 9390 GPS RX

Mark C. Stephens marks at non-stop.com.au
Thu May 23 16:38:07 UTC 2013

Okay, I pulled the black box cover off and was greeted by a picture of how things should be made.
After some considerable time staring at the veritable work of art, I thought I saw the crystal hiding behind the foam.
So I gently removed the foam and marked on the xtal is 79 degrees C.
Cool, Well actually that's hot!
So I have powered it up for 30 minutes and measured the temperature with a very accurate temperature gun I use for measuring preheating on rework jobs.
Huh, its sitting dead on 60 degree's.
I think therein, lies our problem, the crystal never reaches turning point.
According to the fine manual, Increasing R8 lowers the temperature. Therefore, If I decrease R8 It should theoretically, increase the temperature?
The conundrum is, Shall I just change R8 value or perhaps there is something else wrong.
What do you think Guys, R8 or something else?
I am not going further without some of the abundant collective wisdom and experience contained in the time-nuts members!

-marki