[time-nuts] Good (cheap) PIC chip choice for project?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun May 26 03:17:12 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Didier Juges <shalimr9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My opinion is that the language for small embedded devices is C. Some may disagree, but after over 40 years of writing software for a whole bunch of platforms (obviously not all in C), I see no reason to switch to something else for small embedded systems.
>
> Therefore make sure you select a chip/family/architecture for which you can get a decent C compiler.

I've been at this for a long time too,   Yes C is the language now for
embedded devices but sometimes you need assembly for some odd-ball
critical case.   If so you can mix C and Assembly.  Typically you
would only ever write at most a few critical sections in assembly.

That is the best advice, find a good C compiler.  UNLESS this is all
new to you and you don't have years of programming experience.  In
that case get an Arduino.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California