[time-nuts] Good (cheap) PIC chip choice for project?

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sun May 26 05:10:27 UTC 2013

I'm surprised not to have seen the picaxe(s) mentioned. cheap enough,
easily programmed, large amount of re-useable code chunks, etc. Not for
production, but good enough for a few-off or individual projects,
cheaper than Arduinos...
Of course, I like New Micros. expensive (relatively) but directly
programmable in Forth <G> BTW, an Arduino can be converted to Forth as
well.
Don

johncroos at aol.com
> Nice topic. I learned at bit. One source of info on the PIC is a course
> book and
> programming kit, programmer, prototype board and components set up by
> the ARRL.
>
> www.arrl.org
>
> You get all the stuff you need to get going. Software and a integrated
> development environment is provided. All in one package. They also have
> a couple of new courses on the Raspberry PI and the Arduino.
>
> I got into the PIC course last summer, read the extensive course book
> and learned to program the things. Made lights blink - also made LCD say
> "Hi Hottie" to my wife.
>
> My only comments -
>
> 1. Nice course for a beginner - my roots are old and in BASIC and
> FORTRAN  Still used today, on junker laptops. So it was fun go fool with
> assembly for while.
>
> 2. My impression is that the PICs are powerful if you do a lot with one,
> but there is a lot of work involved to get up the learning curve.
>
> 3. My conclusion is that my next venture - should it occur will be with
> an integrated product that I can program in high level, with good input
> and some display capability, because I just want to get on with the
> project, but then I am not making a production device.
>
> Others comments re the more complex boards appreciated and noted for
> future reference.
>
> -73 john k6iql
> -

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road