[time-nuts] Temex LPFRS-01 / LPRO rubidium reference repair

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sun May 26 20:10:04 UTC 2013

Hi Gerd,

When it locks for a few seconds, make a note of the VCXO control
voltage.  Watch it as closely as you can during the lock period.  Is it
very near one end of the sweep range?  Does it then drift off the end of
the range when lock is lost?  That behaviour would suggest that the VCXO
has drifted out of range as Bob suggested.  But if the voltage stays
more towards the middle of the range (like 4D, 4C) that's not going to
be the problem.  You could also watch the output frequency since it
tracks the frequency.  Whichever is easier.

If you can run it while it's open, check the temperatures of the lamp
and the cavity as best you can.  I see that they're specified in the
manual.  Also, check for obvious things like bad capacitors. Living next
to that physics package must be a hard life for any capacitor!  The
negative terminal on the black electrolytic near the flex circuit looks
a little strange, but that could just be a trick of the light.

Ed