[time-nuts] Good (cheap) PIC chip choice for project?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sun May 26 21:25:36 UTC 2013

Hi Jason:

I've done a number of PIC projects in assembly language because it like it.
I like the 8 pin parts where they are all that's needed.  But if you want to have USB or LAN connections then you'll
need one of the much bigger parts or better already assembled boards.

With a simpler part there's less to learn.  Here's an example of a circuit that has 12 LEDs all driven from 4 PIC pins.
http://www.prc68.com/I/PRC68COM.shtml#12LED

This is an LCD clock and it uses the PIC 16F88 and is interrupt based, where assembly coding is mandatory because every
machine cycle is critical in how the interrupts are handled.  This is a "time nuts" clock where the external frequency
reference is the heartbeat of the micro controller.  The time can be set to a millisecond (the 1 PPS output is as good
as the reference oscillator) and the date functions go back to fifteen hundred something as well as day of the week.
http://www.prc68.com/I/PRC68COM.shtml#07092006

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com