[time-nuts] Good (cheap) PIC chip choice for project?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 27 05:46:10 UTC 2013

Well, its a matter of opinions I guess. The RPi has one UART which is also
the console port, so so much for that, and 17 IOs in total from the link in
the message below.
On the other hand, the BeagleBone Black has 96 IOs including several UARTs.
I have one of each at the moment, and it seems like the Pi is a better toy
if one wants to hook up a keyboard and monitor, but the BBB is a better tool
for embedded systems.

I am also bothered by the closed nature of the RPi while the BBB is
completely open.

The RPi has sold many times more units, so there is more info and more
resources also on the net. For a beginner wanting to learn, the RPi is
probably a better choice.

Didier
==================================

Didier,

It's easy to use the UART on the RPi for other work, e.g. GPS NMEA, as shown
in the descriptions I've previously referenced.  Edit a couple of files.
Using SSH you can easily access the RPi over the network for test and, if
you need it, graphics.  I don't think that my latest two have ever had a
keyboard or monitor attached.

Of course there /are/ differences, and one would choose the device most
suited to the task in use.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu