[time-nuts] NTP Clock suggestions?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon May 27 15:22:14 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Miguel Barbosa Gonçalves <m at mbg.pt> wrote:

> Good joke :-) I imagine the electricity bill at the end of the month.
>
> I would like to have a clock sync with my super precise stratum 1 servers
> :-) what's the point in having them if I can see the time anywhere? :-)

Don't know about you but I'm always in from of a computer and the time
is one the screen in the upper right corner.

Yes the TV uses a bit of power but you could use a screen that draws
less current and the Pi or other ARM powered computer uses very little
power.  But seriously, IRIG is the standard for local time
distribution it does not have the delay and gitter that NTP over
Ethernet has  It is send via audio frequency so any only twisted pair
phone cable woorks although I've mostly seen then use coax.   NTP
requires a Posix-like OS which means a fairly powerful CPU while time
code can be processed limey with old 74lsxx logic or a tiny $2 uP.
I believe there is a time code generator included in the standard NTP
source distribution in /utils.  The time code software sends the
signal out the audio device at 8KHz sample rate and should be good at
the millisecond level.

In terms of both the amount f power used and accuracy IRIG is better
for this then NTP.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California