[time-nuts] What was 50.791095 MHz used for?

ed breya eb at telight.com
Wed May 29 03:58:19 UTC 2013

Does anyone know what 50.791095 MHz was used for? I assume it was
some sort of telecom clocking rate - perhaps obsolete. I
serendipitously discovered that I have some VCXO modules of this
frequency, that will likely solve a problem on one of my projects.
I'm now curious about what they may have been used for, and if that
is a "standard" frequency that will be available for future use.
Online searching seems to indicate it is very common, but doesn't say what for.

Ed