[time-nuts] 9390 GPS RX

Mark C. Stephens marks at non-stop.com.au
Thu May 30 07:24:28 UTC 2013

Ed, et al,

I was just cleaning up the workbench and this gave me time to reflect of the FRK repair.
I'd just like to say thanks for your help and Guidance Ed, without it, I probably would have got there in the end but I would have not been as aware of why and how I fixed it.
What I mean is, I learnt a great deal about how the Rubidium works AND I learnt that sometimes patience is the best recourse when dealing with very accurate timing instruments AND I made some very cool friends!

With that mess out of the way, I realised, heck, I haven't fixed the PSU in the 9390 yet!

So, Ed, what do you know about "Convertor Concepts INC." 28volt switch mode PSU used in the 9390? ;)

So far, I have found the Triac was blown, but I don't have the schematic for the PSU.
The construction although acceptable and tidy is a bit "Ghetto" compared to modern day switch modes I have worked on.
Mind you, there is a lot more room in there and you can actually get in there and fix things without having to remove heat sinks and separate boards.

However, I am toying with the idea of replacing it with one of those new high efficiency / low noise supplies.

I suppose I should just put the 9390 on the bench and hook it up to a bench supply and watch it for a while.

Then again, I am also admiring the view - I can actually see the surface of the bench for a change - no mat of cables obscuring it!

I guess it's only right I should at least attempt to fix the original PSU, if even just to keep the old 'gal just like new.
And it is in lovely condition! I'd say it spent its working life in a nice clean room.

BR,
-marki