[time-nuts] NIST Optical lattice clocks

Mark C. Stephens marks at non-stop.com.au
Thu May 30 09:13:23 UTC 2013

Just remember a lot of the Ytterbium comes from Australia, Jay ;)

According to Wikipedia, The optical clock based on it is exact to 17 digits after the decimal point!
I hope that doesn't mean it is time to trade my HP 5370B in shortly...
How do they measure down to these resolutions?

http://tf.nist.gov/ofm/calcium/ybhome.htm
I thought they are already able to capture an atom in its own well?

Anyway, Hopefully the 'proof of concept' is there and start producing these really accurate clocks.
And stop the position wander on the GPS L1 satellites, that would be good..

-marki

My son just told me a good one: Who made a plane that cannot fly? The Wrong brothers..