[time-nuts] The 5MHz Sweet Spot

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Nov 2 04:36:39 UTC 2013

In a free running (non crystal controlled) oscillator,
the oscillator with the highest Q (regardless of frequency)
will have the best phase noise, if all oscillators are
normallized to the same frequency by ideal multiplication.
So the Q gain doesn't go away in that sense.

Having said that, in crystal oscillators, Q doesn't
determine noise in the first place, so the point is moot.

Rick Karlquist N6RK