[time-nuts] The 5MHz Sweet Spot

Said Jackson saidjack at aol.com
Sun Nov 3 21:41:22 UTC 2013

The partial answer is: yes as they typically use 10MHz crystals too. But the loop BW is so wide (10Hz or more) that the crystal jumps get compensated very quickly.

We have not seen any real frequency jumps in 100's of CSACs we tested that use vapor cells just like RB's do, so from my experience I have never seen a discrete frequency jump in an Atomic oscillator..

Notice that CSACs do jump significantly in frequency right after power on when they achieve atomic lock, typically about 60s after power on.

Vapor cell atomic clocks typically have other issues such as excessive retrace, loss of vacuum and a subsequent slow drift in frequency, and almost instantaneous loss of atomic lock causing frequency jumps when operated above max temperature..

Sent From iPhone