[time-nuts] Anyone want an engineering job making a GPSDO comparator for T-Bolts?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 23:59:16 UTC 2013

I wonder what you gain by this?  You still need the GPS to provide a
reference.  Either you use it's 1Hz or 10MHz output.   Then you compare the
phase of these to the phase o the TCXO and adjust the TCXO until the phase
is constant relative to the reference.   The instrument still needs the
signal coming into it.  OK the advantage is the you can disconnect the
signal the the internal TCXO will continue to run undisciplined.

Comparing the phase of the TXCO and reference is not hard.  the simplest is
to use an XOR logic gate.      Is this a one-off deal?  If you only have
one TCXO to replace you can buy something off the shelf.  If you intend to
place this into production than the engineering cost may be worth it.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Bob Burchett <bob.burchett at eeontheweb.com>wrote:

> We successfully "replaced" an internal low-quality TCXO with an external
> T-Bolt signal with much help from Time Nuts; but one guy called me up and
> suggested we discipline the INTERNAL oscillator instead of replacing it
> with
> an external signal. I think his name was Bill (but can't remember for
> sure!)
> and now I am stuck for an answer on how to build a "comparator" to watch
> one
> with the other and back-feed a control signal to manage one with the other.
>

> Short of him not remembering me anymore than I remember HIS name; is anyone
> else interested in a contract engineering job to design such a comparator?
> am a pretty sharp "radio guy" but this is a few millimeters outside my
> talent range!
>

> Robert L. (Bob) Burchett WB6SLC
>
> CCA AC-12-12727
>
> 22826 Mariposa Ave.