[time-nuts] 3GHZ Extender for HP 53131A and 53132A

Richard Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Nov 9 01:53:14 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-08 17:38, GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote:

> What do static and dynamic mean in that  context?  Is it the same as
> DRAM
> vs
> SRAM?  If so, I don't see  any obvious way that translates into one
> works

> The MB510 looks to be a series of flip-flops so presumably would be
> classified as a static divider?
>
> Regards
>
> Nigel
> GM8PZR

Dynamic dividers oscillate when not driven.  Static dividers are like
ordinary flip flops used for logic and do not oscillate when the clock
signal is removed.

The MB510 is probably nothing great, even if it was used by HP
in some counters.  I personally was to blame for designing the MB506
into the 5334B counter.  I was trying to reduce factory cost.
I knew perfectly well it didn't work all that well.  It was at
least no worse that the divider used in the 5334A, which was
made by HP in Santa Clara and cost $100.
The dividers that were made by HP in Santa Rosa were much better
because they were static.  The 5386 used these.  They were also
not cheap.

Rick Karlquist N6RK
HP 5334B Project Manager