[time-nuts] linux-gpib working on a RasPI

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Mon Nov 11 22:54:38 UTC 2013

Hi Mark,

Well, his subject is "linux-gpib", and the gold anodized clone simply will not work with the linux-gpib drivers.  I think I drove the developer batty trying to get it to go, but it's not going to happen without a complete rework of the code.  I don't know whether that will ever take place, either.

OTOH, if you are using the Agilent driver, it seems to work well.  By this I mean that under Windows XP, Agilent's Connection Expert was able to send and receive commands and data to my HP units.  It was also able to do the same over the network when Connection Expert was running in a Windows Virtual Box on my Debian system and I was running XP natively on a separate machine as the client.  I thought about trying to just run through the network with a Linux client on the host, but I was unable to get information on how to get that configuration to run from the Linux side, so I just gave up.  It might have happened eventually, but I just wasn't in the mood to drop my project to spend weeks on figuring out how.

With the Prologix unit, I had a homebrew client library (in "C") up and running well enough to make me happy the day it arrived.  I do not use NI-VISA, and trying to figure out that mares nest just left me completely mystified.  I'm a good enough C programmer to do the things I need once I have connectivity and a simple interface.  No connection to Prologix, etc, etc, etc.

Bob - AE6RV