[time-nuts] Loran

Gerald Chafee gchafee at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 21:53:33 UTC 2013

Does anyone know if they are using original antennas for chains that
existed during the heyday of LORAN C?

I remember driving past the tower at the Seneca Army Depot in Romulus, NY ,
and I was in awe of the size of the tower. I know the Coast Guard, then
Homeland Security had control of the site. I am not sure if the tower is
still there since some of the sites were decommissioned.

I was wondering if they will be using the Master/Slave system, or do they
have a new way to triangulate?

I know the worry of GPS jamming has caused a lot of worry. I was wondering
if cell sites that absolutely need super accurate timing will have LORAN as
a backup timing source? I know if they lose GPS, they lose their ability to
hand off to adjacent working cells (Island Cell Effect?).