[time-nuts] Crude Survey Technique

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 22 02:02:07 UTC 2013

Brooke Clarke wrote: "Most low cost hand held and car GPS receivers can only display direction
based on changes in position."

True, but the Garmin 62s handheld that I use for geocaching and hiking ($200-$400) has a
3-axis, tilt-compensated electronic compass that shows your heading even when you're
standing still and holding the unit upright or at an angle. Accuracy is +/-2° except
near the poles where it is +/-5° . My Casio watch on the other hand is +/-11°, if you
hold it level.

-Arthur