[time-nuts] Crude Survey Technique

Stephan Sandenbergh ssandenbergh at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 11:31:04 UTC 2013

John,

We had a similar problem when we're trying to setup various antennas at
various locations pointing at different true North bearings. It turned out
quite hard to find true North.

We found single carrier GPS surveyed points to be inaccurate to produce
good bearings across such a short base line. Also, you'll end up with two
points with some bearing w.r.t. North. Now the problem is that of finding a
third point to give you your N-S base line.

In the end we used a tripod, calibrated gun sight and a turn table with
degrees markings (those that the photonics people use). If you'd like to
use this method, you survey a single point on your property (preferably on
the base line your interested in). Also survey a land mark, like a radio
mast a few km's away. The further away (the longer the base line) the less
accurate your surveyed points need to be. Now calculate the North
bearing of this base line using these two points. Now back at your property
at the surveyed point, point your cross hair at the radio mast and set the
number of degrees on the turn table to that you have calculated. Fix the
turn table. 0 degrees should now be true North, and you could now use the
cross hair to survey the other point.

The tripod should be levelled very carefully, since errors here will put
you in a different plane and you will end up calculating vector components
in that plane.