[time-nuts] Crude Survey Technique

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 22 17:06:51 UTC 2013

Hi Jim,
I disagree, the Medium Landing Compass IS accurate to better than 30 minutes (0.5deg). This is also the smallest graduation so it can be read to better than 15 minutes. The calibration chart is given to 10 minutes every 15 degrees. It does of course indicate the orientation of the local magnetic field. To ensure there is no local distortions you need to do a site survey. This can be acheived by comparing bearings to a distant object along a baseline or taking reciprical bearings. CAA CAP562 part 8 leaflet 1 http://www.helitavia.com/docs/CAP562_2007_08.pdf
has lots of good info.

(full version here http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP562RFS.pdf  large file over 10MB)

Robert G8RPI (CEng, licenced aircraft engineer for 30 years, I've done many aircraft swings)