[time-nuts] A readl atomic wristwatch

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue Oct 1 22:59:52 UTC 2013

Guys,

there is only one problem: there is just no way they can claim only 1
second error in a 1000 years unless they also have a GPS receiver for
calibration in there, which kind of mutes the point as that has been done using  wwvb
etc. Let's do the math:

1/ (1000 * 365 * 24 *3600) = 3.171E-011 average error required over 1000
years.

The CSAC has a thermal spec of +/-0.5ppb for -20C to +70C, meaning 5.6E-012
 per Degree C sensitivity.

So the temperature would have to stay stable within a couple degrees C,
hardly possible in a wrist watch.

Also, initial CSAC aging is 0.3ppb per month, about 100x worse than  they
claimed 1000 year per second accuracy. It gets better over time, but still
around a ppb per year or so of aging is expected, far off from the 0.032ppb
claim.

They did a great job integrating that together, and its novel, but the
marketing department is off by many orders in magnitude in their accuracy
claims.

I know CSAC applications that would be very happy to get around  0.1 second
error per year consistently without external re-calibration in a  stable
environment.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 10/1/2013 15:32:27 Pacific Daylight Time,