[time-nuts] A readl atomic wristwatch

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 2 00:44:37 UTC 2013

On 10/1/13 4:01 PM, Richard Solomon wrote:
> I can see it now:
>
> TSA Inspector: Sir, what is that watch ?
>
> Poor Soul: Oh, that's the new Cesium Watch.
>
> TSA Guy: Holy &*^*, shut down the airport, call SWAT,
>
> HI HI
>
> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

Interestingly, over the past couple weeks, I've had opportunity to
experience TSA inspection a lot of times carrying electronic equipment
that, I think, truly looks like a bomb on the X-ray. A big Pelican case
filled with circuit boards, lots of wires, connected to large
rectangular blobs (lead acid batteries).

Only once has any question been asked, it was more out of curiosity than
anything else (there was nobody else at the checkpoint, I had hours
before my flight, etc.)

Granted I don't *look* like a terrorist (my beard looks much the same as
Osama's did, in his younger days, but that's about it).

I think there are easier ways to get the TSA inspectors excited.
Bottles full of liquids are a good way (ask my daughter, who forgot
about the water bottle going through JFK).

I doubt the average TSA folks have much knowledge of chemistry that is
relevant to the inspection process.  I suspect you could carry a
depleted uranium counterweight through, and tell them it was uranium,
and they wouldn't get excited.

Carry odd shaped things attached to your body, and that will get them
excited, because the "blob detector" on the mm-wave radar will trigger.

Long springs will get them excited (because they look like some sort of
springy baton or club, I think), so save the 6 meter helical rubber duck
antenna for your checked bags.