[time-nuts] a real atomic wristwatch

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 17:19:03 UTC 2013

You are correct, I observe that several of my circa $100 non-WWVB quartz
watches are good to 5 secs a year.

That 5 sec a year if I do my math right... is 1.6e-7, which is only a
little worse than the spec of the ovened HP10811 (1e-7). Now under my
typical use there is a 98.6 degree F oven right next to the watch most of
the time, but I doubt that is as good as an 10811 oven :-)

That's very impressive for a mass produced miniaturized device in such an
environment. Is there any documentation about how they achieve this? I'm
guessing there's custom-programmed temperature compensation done at the
factory for each unit, and maybe some aging before that, and maybe they
even have characterized the aging well enough that it's programmed in as a
trend as well.

Tim.