[time-nuts] exponential+linear fit

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 4 23:03:56 UTC 2013

On 10/4/13 2:54 PM, Alan Melia wrote:
> Jim it may not be helpful but had you thoughtof expanding the
> exponential as the first few terms of an infinite series to see if it
> simplifies fitting?

Hmm..

So the tradeoff is "fit polynomial with higher order" (because the
polynomial basically is the first few terms of a Taylor expansion for
exp(x)).  My DC and linear term in X basically add to the terms for the
exponential.
vs
linearize the data by taking the log of each point, then fit a straight
line.

Without grinding through a benchmark, I have to believe that calculating
the various powers of the inputs to do a least squares has to be
computationally lighter load than doing log, and then exp

I'll try attaching a plot of some sample data.