[time-nuts] How hard is it to detect a GPS Jammer?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 8 04:51:09 UTC 2013

On 10/7/13 9:30 PM, Bill Hawkins wrote:
> In general, we expect a jammer to be involved in criminal activity.
>
> What about a wilderness guide whose reputation is built on finding
> the best spots to view Nature's wonders. Should he or she be happy
> to let people in the guided group save the coordinates of those
> spots in order to compete with the guide or avoid guide's services
> in the future?

or the favorite fishing hole..

Way back when, one of the applications of frequency hopping radios was
for fishermen (ocean) so that they couldn't be DFed.  They had already
done the scrambler thing.

> Or would that be a justifiable use of jamming?
No.

It's that same moral thing.. Should you allow cellphone jammers in movie
theaters?

In my mind, these are all hacks to solve a more fundamental social
question about "appropriate use".

cellphone jammers are a sort of passive aggressive way for a business
owner to not have to confront paying customers about their misuse of
cellphones.

At the Athaeneum, the faculty club at CalTech, cellphone use is not
permitted.  Pull out a cellphone, and the staff politely tells you "Sir,
we would prefer you not use that here, would you like to step outside".
  At the Austin Drafthouse theater, they're a bit more confrontational.

Anyone can buy a chainsaw or sledge hammer. There is potential for
misuse, but common decency mitigates against those uses.