[time-nuts] HP 5061A Problem

Adrian rfnuts at arcor.de
Wed Oct 9 09:38:42 UTC 2013

Corby,

the frequency test performed yesterday as follows:

- Peak Frequency 38.78 kHz at 1V eff
- EM Output connected directly to a 34401A
- measured -102 mV (10.2 nA)

- Peak Frequency 38.78 kHz at 2V eff
- EM Output connected directly to a 34401A
- measured -133 mV (13.3 nA)

- Audio Signal off
- EM Output connected directly to a 34401A
- measured -59 mV (5.9 nA)

Corresponding circuit check meter readings when EM output is connected
to A7 J1:
- 36
- 46
- 24

That was measured with A11 mass spectrometer fully cw. There is no peak
when adjusting the pot, the max. is always in the full cw position.

There was still no 2nd harmonic though because the A7 input amp was shot.
I couldn't find the 1854-0023 in the xref, so I replaced them with BC546B's.
This worked until I reconnected the EM output to the amp.
Apparently the EM charges up to a high negative potential while
unconnected. When it is reconnected to A7, the negative voltage peak
instantly shoots the input transistor.
Touching the open connector with a scope probe shows a negative voltage
transient of several hundred volts.
When it is connected to the amp, there are only -8mV across the 1M input
resistor R10.
So there appears to be a very high resistance path between the EM and
high voltage inside the tube.
This explains also why the meter is displaying beam current immediately
after applying power to the 5061A.

Well, with a new transistor and avoiding the discharge scenario, I was
finally able to get a 2nd harmonic that could be peaked with osc.
coarse, A3 mod and A4.
The noisy 2nd harmonic signal is present at A8 J1.

So far it looks all good except for the EM problem that appears to be
acceptable. At least the hope is still alive.

The unit didn't yet lock, so I will have to check the other parts of the
control loop.

Adrian