[time-nuts] HP 5061A problem

Adrian rfnuts at arcor.de
Thu Oct 10 09:20:21 UTC 2013

Corby,

well, the OP Amp was shot.
When I pulled it out, I saw a marking 'BAD 7-8-97' on the side cover.
I was hoping to get it fixed because the 1uF ceramic cap at +15V was
shorted and had burned the 75R resistor.
But, after some serious investigation, I'm realizing that it is
incompatible with the unit I have.

The OP Amp module is marked 05061-6134 Ser. 2136. On the chassis under
the module it says 05061-6092. The 5061A SN prefix is 1540A.
It has an Intech A-240 and 1826-0471 (OP07CJ). The inverting input of
the OP07 is connected to J2/9 by a white wire, as on the schematic.
However, the plug has pins 8 and 9 bridged internally, so the inv. input
is hard wired to -16V. J2/3 is n.c. inside the plug. And, the 8uF cap is
connected between the amp input and output (J1 and J2/5).

I had the OP07 removed and the output of U1 bridged to J2/5 and it was
locking. However, the response to fine adjust changes was very slow.
So, at least the basics are there and I should be able to get it running
if I find the correct OPamp.

Adrian