[time-nuts] Choke Ring Antenna - Patch Placement?

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Fri Oct 11 01:35:02 UTC 2013

I've seen the ring described as a ground plane, and as a series of 1/4 wave vertical filters.  The polarization is probably just the antenna element itself.  I don't think that a filter would care.  It looks like Don's comment about putting the patch just below the rim is pretty close.  I've been playing with it, and a CD about 3/16" below the rim plane with the patch sitting on top gives a pretty good pattern.  I need to find something else to use as spacers so I can get about 1/8" lower to see how it plays.

Bob