[time-nuts] Trimble TB replacement options???

Frank Hughes hp_ciscovss at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 11 23:24:18 UTC 2013

Hi,
I recently had some minor trouble w/ my Trimble Thunderbolt, (turned out to be a loose DB-9).

The event motivated me to look for a spare, in the case where something actually fatal happens to the TB in the future.

The availability of a 10mhz signal for the HP and Agilent test equipment is great.

Also, our home NTP server PPS input is very nice (when I don't knock the connector off).

Does it seem like the Trimble Thunderbolt units are becoming scarce, and commanding prices accordingly?

Should I just pay the ransom and be as happy as I can about it?

Or is there any other HW that I should start looking for w/ similar inputs and outputs for the antenna, serial PPS, BNC 10Mhz?

I don't need .9999999 precision, just a better 10Mhz signal than the HP & Agilent OCXO's produce, and a stable PPS to feed the NTP server with.

Thanks,
Frank
KJ4OLL