[time-nuts] Making a Raspberry Pi NTP server without soldering

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 22 15:29:40 UTC 2013

David,

Thanks for posting and for all else that you post.

You have done much with the Raspberry PI.

How you done anything with or have compared the PI to the Beaglebone Black?

Cheers, Graham ve3gtc
==================================

Graham,

No I haven't, unfortunately.  From what I read, I suspect that the
BeagleBone Black may be a slightly better technical solution, but whether
you could see any difference using them as stratum-1 NTP servers in a real
environment I doubt.  The Raspberry Pi has much greater support, and for a
Linux newbie like me that is an important factor - I wouldn't have got as
far as I have without help from the folk on this group and elsewhere.

By the way, there are some dedicated NTP servers around which look to have a
very much better performance, but they lack all the management and
monitoring tools we have with NTP.  For me, that was a deal breaker.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk