[time-nuts] Splitter for GPS antenna suggestions?

"Björn" bg at lysator.liu.se
Sat Oct 26 22:43:33 UTC 2013

Charles, Bob,

> Bob wrote:
>
>>The Symmetricom / HP splitters are way more than just a splitter.
>>They have an amp and some filtering in addition to the split. They
>>also pass DC from only one port and correctly DC terminate the other
>>ports so you don't get an "antenna missing" error.
>
> And they were designed for precision timing systems, so thought was
> given to minimum propagation time and to equal delay between
> channels.  PT is about 20nS, and very consistent channel-to-channel.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Charles

Here is a splitter that is way more than the Symmetricom/HP ones.

     http://www.gpssource.com/files/S1X4WI-Datasheet-005.pdf

The S14wi has lower delay. Has options to pass DC from any one port. Will
remove the DC load so that the splitter does not hide from the GPS
receiver that the antenna really is broken/gone missing.

In the only national time lab I have visited, there was Cesiums, H-masers
and rubidiums. Do not remember seeing L1-only receiver. But many
dual/tripple frequency receivers. Thus the antenna distribution was set up
for wide band reception.

The S14WI was available from some sources (Ebay 190645191204). At $100 it
was a steal compared to most other options.

The Mini-circuits generic splitters I have checked has had common DC path
on all ports. That means you need a bias-T with resistor load or at least
a DC-block on the ports you do not feed the antenna LNA from.

kind regards,

     Björn