[time-nuts] Surface Mount OCXO Questions

Graham / KE9H timenut at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 31 01:47:17 UTC 2013

John:

Look at the ppm (or however they express it) as to the sensitivity of the
frequency stability of the OCXO relative to Voltage input.

Say the oven power drops from 3 watts to 1 Watt as the oven comes up
to temperature.  At 3 Volts, relative to 12 Volts, for a given resistance,
it is four time the Voltage change due to the higher currents, and an
additional
four times the percentage of the operating Voltage as a ratio.  So
additional
design consideration for Voltage control/stabilization is needed.

If you have a solid (wide, thick, multi-layer) ground, then that can
work.  To reduce the voltage drop feeding the OCXO, you might consider
putting a dedicated LDO regulator, right at the OCXO, that shares the ground
reference with the OCXO, so any voltage drop in the feed side is removed,
as well as any Voltage variability with current in the ground system.

As to why they are selling the 3.3V part, they probably started selling it
before they had some customers get into performance issues per the above.
But once offered, they have to continue to support their customers.

I think they are just telling you that it is somewhere between 4 and 16
times
easier to get the full performance out of the part with a 12 Volt power feed
than a 3 Volt power feed, not that you can't get full performance with a
3.3V feed.

I am sure their parts meet specs, you just need to understand them.

P.S. - I would stick with linear regulators feeding the OCXO, not a
switcher.

--- Graham

==