[time-nuts] Surface Mount OCXO Questions

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 31 14:51:56 UTC 2013

A couple tricks I've learned along the way: 1) If using a switching supply is required to get a higher voltage, follow it with a good LDO to reduce the noise level. I've done this successfully for powering handheld radio microphones with built-in amplification, video amplifiers, and for operating a GPS receiver and antenna. 2) If there is a possible ground current path problem, break the ground path by using a unity gain "difference" amplifier like the AD8276, or a difference amplifier with gain like the INA145. The input is differential to the source signal, and the output has a moderately high impedance reference terminal that can be tied directly to the load device ground pin. I use this technique all the time to keep down the noise when driving remote analog loads that have large ground currents themselves. (Picture a 110W 40MHz transmitter running off 12V, at the bottom of a stack of other transceivers in the trunk of a police car - with 40A of
 lights flashing, etc.)

Bob LaJeunesse