[time-nuts] New NTBW50AA

quartz55 quartz55 at hughes.net
Fri Sep 6 20:18:01 UTC 2013

I got this thing today.  Here's some pics of it.  http://s251.photobucket.com/user/DogTi/library/time?sort=3&page=1

Can anyone tell me anything significant about it?  I know less than nothing as I'm real new to this.  It came with a Alcatel Lucent 26dB antenna, pipe mount and a couple of SMB pigtails.  I have a couple of SMB to BNC connectors I can use easier for the antenna and 10MHz out.

I looked at the PS circuit and indeed pins 1 and 4 on the back connector that are isolated from ground go directly to the AC input of a bridge, so it looks like one could put about anything on the input in either polarity. I made a drawing of the input circuit. I wonder if I could put AC on it?  I've got a 19.5VDC 4A brick I may try unless someone tells me not to.  Otherwise I can make up a 24 to 48VDC supply. Instead of buying the $6 connector I think I'll just push some #20 wires into the pins and fasten them down somehow.  Looks like 1a,b,c,d are one side and 4a,b,c,d are the other.  The connector looks unsexed, but I suppose this unit just pushes into a rack so it doesn't matter.

I'll install the antenna and feed, not sure what I'm going to use for cable, I have a bunch of RG-8X and also some 75 ohm tv stuff, but how to get the 75 ohm stuff to the N connector on the antenna and the SMB on the unit.  I have an N to BNC and maybe I can just rig some BNC connectors on the 75 ohm stuff.  I suppose I should check the feed line for shorts or opens before I hook anything up to anything.  Should I check the unit antenna input for +5V before I connect the antenna, the antenna instructions says it takes +5DC bias for the active antenna?

Will the antenna be high enough just above the peak of the roof, above that is about another 50' of a couple of oak trees right above and to the north?  I could put it on the deck but not as high, but it gets out from under the oak trees a bit and has a real good southern view, I'm not sure where these birds are.

Suggestions welcome.  I'm going out to get the feed line ready.  We're leaving in another hour or so, so I don't have much time to play with this thing.

Should I get the LH and com port working before I get too far or should I just plug this thing together and see what happens?

Dave
N3DT