[time-nuts] GPS outage?

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Sep 7 12:11:59 UTC 2013

Hi

I'd say that:

HiNOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2013053
SUBJ: SVN34 (PRN04) FORECAST OUTAGE SUMMARY JDAY 246/1717 - JDAY 247/0029
1.     NANU TYPE: FCSTSUMM
       NANU NUMBER: 2013053
       NANU DTG: 040030Z SEP 2013
       REFERENCE NANU: 2013052
       REF NANU DTG: 291526Z AUG 2013
       SVN: 34
       PRN: 04
       START JDAY: 246
       START TIME ZULU: 1717
       START CALENDAR DATE: 03 SEP 2013
       STOP JDAY: 247
       STOP TIME ZULU: 0029
       STOP CALENDAR DATE: 04 SEP 2013

2.  CONDITION: GPS SATELLITE SVN34 (PRN04) WAS UNUSABLE ON JDAY 246
    (03 SEP 2013) BEGINNING 1717 ZULU UNTIL JDAY 247 (04 SEP 2013)
    ENDING 0029 ZULU.

3.  POC: CIVILIAN - NAVCEN AT 703-313-5900, HTTP://WWW.NAVCEN.USCG.GOV
    MILITARY - GPS OPERATIONS CENTER at HTTPS://GPS.AFSPC.AF.MIL/GPSOC, DSN 560-2541,
    COMM 719-567-2541, gpsoperationscenter at us.af.mil, HTTPS://GPS.AFSPC.AF.MIL
    MILITARY ALTERNATE - JOINT SPACE OPERATIONS CENTER, DSN 276-3514,
    COMM 805-606-3514, JSPOCCOMBATOPS at VANDENBERG.AF.MIL

is indeed trustworthy.

It could / might cause issues world wide. A lot depends on how people write their firmware and how many sats are in view. Apparently it was not an issue to normal navigation firmware. The basic question being - did they write the firmware to take the "best 2 out of 3" if things looked odd. Given all the issues with multi path I would think they would.

Bob